We needed to turn an engineering prototype into a product with an aggressive schedule. A lack of developer resources threatened to push back design changes until after release.
I was able to convince developers to allow me access to source code and make only CSS and HTML changes to transform the appearance without changing the existing back-end code.
Although I didn't design the scanner or it's control panel, the icons and colors of the app were designed to look good on the control panel.
I also later designed the companion mobile app.
Our starting point was this engineering prototype.
I started with this and used mostly CSS to transform the appearance. I also implemented HTML and C++ changes when necessary.