Gary M Davis
USER EXPERIENCE DESIGNER
437 Tara Lane,
Webster, New York 14580
I use design to align user needs with business objectives and create devoted customers. I bring together multiple disciplines including research, requirements analysis, workflow, visual design, iteration, prototyping, user-testing, front-end development, and design thinking.
KODAK ALARIS User Experience Design Consultant
Rochester, NY 2015 – present
- Reduced customer support costs by more than 15% by simplifying highly complex service-desk tasks into understandable workflows.
- Enabled the implementation of out-of-scope design 6 months ahead of plan by contributing to front-end code.
- Established visual and behavioral guidelines which drove a professional, consistent look and feel across the document imaging division's embedded, SaaS, desktop and mobile UI.
- Provided high-fidelity HTML / CSS prototypes for software projects which were easily adapted to production code.
DELL/KACE Principal User Experience Designer
Santa Clara, CA / Remote 2011 – 2015
- Effectively collaborated with a remote, geographically distributed team of project managers, engineers, QA, and designers.
- Led major workflow revisions and design of new features for the flagship K1000 enterprise IT software, enabling improved productivity by simplifying highly complex tasks.
- Led the design of the new K3000 mobile device management from initial concept to product launch in about one year – resulting in sales 50% over forecast.
- Led the clean-sheet design of the K1000 Go mobile app with a seamless experience across platforms and screen sizes. Adopted by one-third of eligible customers in less than 6 months.
EASTMAN KODAK Senior User Experience Designer
Rochester, NY 2007 – 2010
- Led a complete redesign of the flagship Picture-Maker Kiosk UI, which increased user perception of quality more than 20%, vastly simplified workflow, reduced visual clutter and shifted the focus to user content.
- Led the design of a stand-alone greeting card kiosk UI and Improved the overall ease of use rating by 15% through iterative usability studies. Later incorporated this design into existing kiosk workflow.
- Uncovered safety and usability issues for printers through iterative human-factors assessments. Recommended changes (including hardware, labeling and, control-panel changes) eliminated the risk of injury and reduced key support costs more than 25%.
XEROX Senior User Experience Designer
Rochester, NY 1996 – 2006
- Designed print drivers that improved success rates of key tasks over 200% and were adopted as the company-wide design standard and widely imitated by competitors.
- Increased reseller interest in equipment over competitors by devising a complete end-to-end system to direct sales of supplies to the original reseller.
- Enhanced usability and customer satisfaction by unifying several divergent authentication, accounting, and access schemes into a single coherent design.
- Increased the collection of revenue over $1M per year through redesign of the billing meters UI and establishment of coherent nomenclature across devices.
- Full-stack skills including research, concept, workflow, graphics, aesthetics, and code
- Designed for Windows, MacOS, web, Android and iOS mobile and proprietary UI
- Expertise using Axure, Balsamiq, Invision, Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver
- Experienced with both Lean and Agile methods and tools such as Jira and Confluence
- Granted several software utility patents
CURRICULUM DESIGN – Rochester Institute of Technology / NTID
GRAPHIC DESIGN – Marietta Hospitality, Cleary Graphics, Inc.
INDUSTRIAL DESIGN – Smith Corona, Crosman Air Guns, Ranging
SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY – Bachelor of Industrial Design
HIGH TECH ROCHESTER – 2015 LaunchPad Software Startup Accelerator
Portfolio at usersimple.com